- December 4, 11:00 AM: Annual UNIVAC Old Timers Reunion at the Ft. Snelling O' Club - A preview of Lawshe Museum 'Legacy Posters' is planned for the stage area!
- December 11, 3:30 PM: Annual VIP Club Dinner/Dance at the Ft. Snelling O' Club - reservation form is on the Contact Us page.
- The Club Board needs a volunteer to become a Director and take on responsibility for managing our membership database. The basic requirements are knowledge of Excel spreadsheet entries, a willingness to participate in most of the monthly board meetings, and come to some of the program meetings. Please contact 2015 President Lowell Benson or 2015 Vice President Keith Behnke if you would consider this key directorship position for 2015.
- Old Plant 8 - Courtesy of Dan Carlson:
Brian Kleinke (LMCO IS & GS Eagan) has assembled a pictorial history of the facility starting over 2 years ago.Volunteer Opportunities: The Legacy Committee needs periodic volunteers for the DCHS Lawshe Museum, contact Bernie Jansen or Harvey Taipale. The needs are to help with photo identifications and to write exhibit storyboards for the various equipments and artifacts in storage.
Looks like the old Eagan facility will have a destiny with the wrecking ball starting in December, here is the link to Brian’s pictures to date.
- IT Legacy is International: [translations and postings with permission of the VIP Club Board as requested by the translator]
- The Home page introduction and the IT Legacy page, Pg 10 have been translated into the German Language, by Dieter Hoffmann.
- Our Systems, Pg 60 translated to the Polish language, http://cheap.de/science/1-wprowadzenie-do-inzynierii-systemow.
- Our Computers, 16-bit page 54 has been translated into the Bulgarian Language, browse http://www.fatcow.com/edu/cp-16bit-bl/.
- Our IT Legacy, Pg 10 was translated into the Romanian Language, browse http://webhostinggeeks.com/science/vipclubmn-imcolegacy-ro.
- Our Computers, Pg 50 is on the web in the Slovenian Language, browse http://nextranks.com/informacijska-tehnologija-pionirji/
Contact Lowell to post items in this section:
3. Next Event Summary
December 12, 3:30 PM -
Section 6 below has GPS and driving directions
Future VIP Club hosted programs and events are listed on our calendar page. TOP
4. Article for the Month:
December - Donald L. Ream has been nominated as a name of a future US Navy Ship. Most people knew Don as our Navy customer - a few know that he was an ERA employee in Washington DC for a period of time in the early 50s.
November - Two articles for this month from Lawshe Museum employees. First, a report on 'Accessioning in View' by Andrew Fox then LMCO volunteerism by Sally Anderson. These two articles were extracted from a recent DCHS publication by Lawshe Museum Trustee, Bernie Jansen. Posted herein “Courtesy of Dakota County Historical Society”.
October - Reporting on 'our first visit' to the Charles Babbage Institute by Richard 'Dick' Lundgren. This 2006 report was languishing in my pending folder. It is apropos to relate the early days of the Legacy Committee.
September - A 'bottoms up' chronology of semi-conductors used by the defense groups of ERA/UNIVAC/Sperry/UNISYS/LMCO by Larry Bolton.
Previous 'Article for the Month' items are listed and linked on the Legacy Project, Documents page, over 100 items since April, 2007. TOP
5. Site Update Log*
November 26: Updated the Next event section of this page and archived the October newsletter, see the Newsletter page. Transferred the May through July update log to the chronology document.
November 8: Posted the December 'Article for the Month'. Added the planned club event schedule to the Calendar page.
October 20: Archived the September newsletter, updated section 3.4 of page 31, continued some update work, updated the next event section of this page, and posted the Christmas Dinner reservation form on the Contact Us page.
September 20: Archived the July/August newsletter.
September 18: Posted the October and November 'Articles for the Month' in section 4 above and on the documents page. Also updated the Next Event Summary in section 3 above.
September 5: Updated the Periodic Groups, Page 8.
October 2007 through August 2014 chronology of previous updates is in printer definition format (pdf).
* As of November 2009, changes to the Announcements section of this home page are not listed. TOP
6. Venue Directions:
6.1 Lawshe Museum in South St. Paul: Set your GPS unit to South Saint Paul, 130 Third Avenue - note map inset at right. From the Roseville area, take Hwy 36 to I-35E south toward downtown St. Paul. Get into the left lane then take the I-94/Hwy 52 left exit to merge onto Hwy 52 going south. 3.4 miles later, take the Butler Ave exit and turn left. Go 0.7 mi and turn right onto MN156 S. After 1.8 mi, turn right onto Grand Ave. W – Drive up the hill a block and turn left; the parking lot is then 400 ft. on the left. From the Eagan area, take I494 toward the Mississippi river then take exit #65 onto 7th Ave. Turn left and drive a mile to South view Blvd, turn right at the light. After 0.3 mi, turn left onto 3rd Ave – the museum parking lot is then 0.2 mi on the right.
6.2 Unisys MACS in Eagan: Set your GPS unit to Eagan MN, 3199 Pilot Knob Road. From Hwy 35E take the Pilot Knob Road exit ramp. Then go north on Pilot Knob Road about ½ mile to Tower View Road. We use the Unisys north parking lot and the visitor entrance thereby.
6.3 Unisys Plant 4 in Roseville: Set your GPS unit to Roseville MN, 2470 Highcrest Road. From Hwy 35W north; exit onto W County Rd C to go west a mile, then turn left onto Walnut St. Then turn right onto Terminal Road for half a block, turn right at Highcrest Rd. to building entrance. From 35W south, exit on Industrial Way / St. Anthony Blvd off ramp, turn left, drive under the freeway, then turn right onto Walnut St. Follow it 0.8 mi north then turn left on Terminal Road. Go ½ block and enter the UNISYS parking lot on the right. From Hwy 36 east, drive west until 36 joins Hwy 35W just past Hwy 280, then exit at the Industrial Way / St. Anthony Blvd. off ramp of 35W. Go north on St. Anthony Blvd. to Walnut St. [the first street on the right]. Turn right onto Walnut Street. From Hwy 280 northbound, use left lane exit just past County Rd B for Terminal road access [St Croix St.] Turn left at Terminal Rd, then 1.5 mi. to Highcrest Rd.
6.4 Roseville VFW: Set your GPS unit to Roseville, MN, 1145 Woodhill Drive. From the Eagan area take 35E through St. Paul to go west on Hwy 36. Exit to Lexington Avenue then right about a mile to Woodhill – turn left, drive about 100 yards and enter the VFW parking lot on the right. From the Minneapolis area, take 35W to Hwy 36, then exit onto Lexington Ave - turn left, then drive about a mile to Woodhill – turn left, go 100 yards and enter the VFW parking lot on the right.
6.5 Highland Park: Set your GPS unit to St Paul, 1200 Montreal Ave. From the Roseville area; take 36 to 35E going south through the city, exit at W 7th (Hwy 5) and turn right. After three blocks angle right onto Montreal Ave and drive uphill ½ mile. The Pavilion is on the left. From the Eagan area take 35E north toward St. Paul, exit at W 7th (Hwy) 5 and turn left. Proceed to Montreal Ave angling right and drive ½ mile. From St. Paul, find Snelling Avenue, drive south to Montreal Ave then turn left. Drive ¼ mile to Pavilion on right.
6.6 Ft. Snelling Officers' Club: Set your GPS unit to St Paul MN, 5512 Post Road, The Club is located on a service road off of Minnesota Highway 5, at the east side of the MSP airport. Take the Hwy 5 Post Road Exit at the southeast corner of the airport, go east then follow the signs to the Officers’ Club. There is ramp access to the building and handicapped parking on the upper level.
6.7 Casper's Cherokee House in Eagan: Set your GPS to Eagan MN, 4625 Nicols Road, From I35E, take the Cliff Road exit and go West to Nicols, turn left. From Cedar Ave, take the Cliff Road exit, go East to Nicols, then turn right.
6.8 Mermaid in New Brighton: Set your GPS unit to Moundsview, MN - 2200 CR 10. From Roseville, Minneapolis, and other southwest points - take I35W north then at exit 28C take ramp right for CR10, cross over the bridge then turn left onto Co. Rd H. From Eagan and southeast points - take I35E north to I694 West, keep in the right lane for Hwy 10, get into the left lane, cross over I35W then turn left onto Co Rd H.
6.9 Charles Babbage Institute: Set your GPS address to 222 - 21st Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55455. The walking location is Room #211 in the Andersen Library second floor. For parking, the closest is lot C86/the Law School lot that has shared contract and visitor parking. A parking alternate site is the city parking next to the Marriott Courtyard hotel, formerly Holiday Inn at seven corners. This is about 1.5 blocks to the west of CBI, 1 block east of the I35W Washington Avenue freeway exit.
7. Disclaimer: Please read the following terms and conditions carefully before using this Web site.
By accessing or using our site, you agree to the following terms and conditions. You should review these regularly as they may change at any time at our sole discretion. If you do not agree to any term or condition, you should not access or otherwise use our site's pages. "Content" refers to any materials, documents, images, graphics, logos, design, audio, video, and any other information provided from or on our Web site.
A. We provide this site for your convenience only!
B. Our Web site is provided to you without charge for your information. By merely providing access to our web site content; we do not warrant nor represent that:
- The content is accurate or complete;
- The content is up-to-date or current;
- We have a duty to update any content;
- The content is free from technical inaccuracies or typographical errors;
- Links to pages or sites outside of the VIP CLUB site are available or accurate; and
- Your access to our Web site will be free from interruptions, errors, computer viruses, or other harmful components.
Your written contributions or corrections to our IT Legacy are and will be appreciated, send to the Webmaster.